The Aims of CAS
CAS complements a challenging academic programme in a holistic way, providing opportunities for self-determination, collaboration, accomplishment and enjoyment
The CAS programme aims to develop students who:
- Enjoy and find significance in a range of CAS experiences
- Purposefully reflect upon their experiences
- Identify goals, develop strategies and determine further actions for personal growth
- Explore new possibilities, embrace new challenges and adapt to new roles
- Actively participate in planned, sustained, and collaborative CAS projects
- Understand they are members of local and global communities with responsibilities towards each other and the environment.
The Nature of CAS
CAS is at the heart of the Diploma Programme. With its holistic approach, CAS is designed to strengthen and extend students’ personal and interpersonal learning from the PYP and MYP.
Creativity: arts, and other experiences that involve creative thinking.
Activity: physical exertion contributing to a healthy lifestyle, complementing academic work elsewhere in the Diploma Programme.
Service: an unpaid and voluntary exchange that has a learning benefit for the student. The rights, dignity and autonomy of all those involved are respected.
Duration of CAS program
The CAS program begins at the start of DP and continues regularly, on a weekly basis, for at least 18 months, with a reasonable balance between C, A, S elements.
In CAS, there are seven learning outcomes
- Identify own strengths and develop areas for growth
- Demonstrate that challenges have been undertaken, developing new skills in the process
- Demonstrate how to initiate and plan a CAS experience
- Show commitment to and perseverance in CAS experiences
- Demonstrate the skills and recognize the benefits of working collaboratively
- Demonstrate engagement with issues of global significance
- Recognize and consider the ethics of choices and actions
CAS Activity/Project Stages
The five CAS stages are as follows.
The CAS coordinator appoints CAS advisors and the students remain in constant touch with the CAS advisors. There are three scheduled CAS interviews that take place across the length of the CAS program i.e. 18 months across the 2 years of Diploma Program.